Identifying and definitional attributes
|Metadata item type:||Data Set Specification|
|Registration status:||Health, Superseded 25/01/2018|
|DSS type:||National Minimum Data Set (NMDS)|
The scope of the Non-admitted patient care hospital aggregate National Minimum Data Set (NMDS) is non-admitted patient service events involving non-admitted patients provided by public hospitals
The NMDS is intended to capture instances of service provision from the point of view of the patient.
The NMDS scope includes:
All arrangements made to deliver non-admitted patient service events (not covered by the national minimum data sets listed below) to non-admitted patients:
Excluded from the NMDS scope are:
All services covered by:
For the purpose of this NMDS, a non-admitted service is a specialty unit or organisational arrangement under which a public hospital provides non-admitted services.
Collection and usage attributes
|Guide for use:|
A non-admitted patient service event is defined as an interaction between one or more health care provider(s) with one non-admitted patient, which must contain therapeutic/clinical content and result in a dated entry in the patient's medical record.
1. All non-admitted services that meet the criteria of a non-admitted patient service event should be counted, and be counted only once regardless of the number of health care providers present. The multiple health care provider indicator can be used to identify service events with three or more health care providers.
2. Patients can be counted as having multiple non-admitted patient service events in one day, provided that every visit meets each of the criteria in the definition of a non-admitted patient service event.
3. Patient education services can be counted as non-admitted patient service events, provided that they meet the criteria included in the definition of a non-admitted patient service event.
4. Each patient attending a group session is counted as a non-admitted patient service event, providing that the session included the provision of therapeutic/clinical advice for each patient and that this was recorded using a dated entry in each patient’s medical record. A data element identifying a group session is included in the NMDS to record this type of service event.
5. Telephone and other telehealth consultations can be counted as service events if they substitute for a face to face consultation, provided that they meet all the criteria included in the definition of a non-admitted patient service event. A telephone consultation is only counted as one non-admitted patient service event, irrespective of the number of health professionals or locations participating in the consultation. A telehealth consultation has service events counted at the location of the healthcare provider and the location of the patient.
6. Services provided to inpatients (including services provided by staff working in non-admitted services who visit admitted patients in wards, or other types of consultation and liaison services involving inpatients) are not counted as non-admitted patient service events.
7. Travel by a health professional is not counted as a non-admitted patient service event.
8. All non-admitted services that meet the criteria in the definition of non-admitted patient service events must be counted, irrespective of funding source (including Medicare Benefits Schedule) for the non-admitted service.
9. For activity based funding purposes, diagnostic services are not counted as non-admitted patient service events; these are an integral part of the requesting clinic's non-admitted patient service event.
10. Renal dialysis, total parenteral nutrition, home enteral nutrition and home ventilation performed by the patient in their own home without the presence of a health care provider may be counted as a non-admitted patient service event, provided there is documentation of the procedures in the patient's medical record. For activity based funding purposes, all non-admitted patient sessions performed per month are to be bundled and counted as one non-admitted patient service event per patient per calendar month regardless of the number of sessions.
|Implementation start date:||01/07/2017|
|Implementation end date:||30/06/2018|
Interaction with the Non-admitted patient care Local Hospital Network aggregate National Best Endeavours Data Set (NBEDS) 2016-17.
The Non-admitted patient care Local Hospital Network aggregate NBEDS and Non-admitted patient care hospital aggregate NMDS work together to collect data on the public hospital system. The two data set specifications collect the same non-admitted activity data items, but at different levels of the system:
It is intended that once the Non-admitted patient care Local Hospital Network aggregate NBEDS is established, the two collections will be merged into a single NMDS.
In the Non-admitted care patient hospital aggregate NMDS and the Non-admitted patient care Local Hospital Network aggregate NBEDS, the term 'establishment' is used to refer to entities reporting at each of the hierarchical levels (that is, public hospital, Local Hospital Network and jurisdictional health authority). Thus, for the purposes of this NMDS, the term 'establishment' refers to a public hospital unless specifically identified differently.
The principle should be applied that no activity is to be double-counted or included in both the Non-admitted patient care hospital aggregate NMDS and the Non-admitted patient care Local Hospital Network aggregate NBEDS.
Glossary terms that are relevant to this National minimum data set are included here:
Source and reference attributes
Independent Hospital Pricing Authority
Independent Hospital Pricing Authority 2015. Tier 2 Non-Admitted Services Compendium. Independent Hospital Pricing Authority, Sydney. Viewed 22 August 2016, https://www.ihpa.gov.au/publications/tier-2-non-admitted-services-compendium-2016-17
Independent Hospital Pricing Authority 2015. Tier 2 Non-Admitted Services Definitions Manual. Independent Hospital Pricing Authority, Sydney. Viewed 22 August 2016, https://www.ihpa.gov.au/publications/tier-2-non-admitted-services-definitions-manual-2016-17
|Related metadata references:|
See also Non-admitted patient NBEDS 2017-18 Health, Superseded 25/01/2018
See also Non-admitted patient care Local Hospital Network aggregate NBEDS 2017-18 Health, Superseded 25/01/2018
Supersedes Non-admitted patient care hospital aggregate NMDS 2016-17 Health, Superseded 05/10/2016
Has been superseded by Non-admitted patient care hospital aggregate NMDS 2018-19 Health, Superseded 12/12/2018, ACT Health, Final 08/08/2018