Identifying and definitional attributes
|Metadata item type:||Data Set Specification|
|Registration status:||Health, Superseded 19/11/2015|
|DSS type:||Data Set Specification (DSS)|
The scope of the Non-admitted patient DSS is non-admitted patient service events involving non-admitted patients provided by:
This also includes all in scope services contracted by a public hospital, Local Hospital Network or jurisdiction regardless of the physical location of the contracting public hospital, Local Hospital Network or jurisdiction, or the location where the services are delivered. The DSS is intended to capture instances of service provision from the point of view of the patient.
The scope of the DSS includes:
All arrangements made to deliver non-admitted patient service events (not covered by the national minimum data sets listed below) to non-admitted patients:
Excluded from the scope of the DSS are:
All services covered by:
For the purpose of this DSS, a non-admitted service is a specialty unit or organisational arrangement under which a jurisdictional health authority, Local Hospital Network or public hospital provides non-admitted services.
Local Hospital Networks are defined as those entities recognised as such by the relevant state or territory health authority.
Collection and usage attributes
|Guide for use:|
A non-admitted patient service event is defined as an interaction between one or more health care provider(s) with one non-admitted patient, which must contain therapeutic/clinical content and result in a dated entry in the patient's medical record.
1. All non-admitted services that meet the criteria of a non-admitted patient service event should be counted, and be counted only once regardless of the number of health care providers present. The multiple health care provider indicator can be used to identify service events with three or more health care providers.
2. Patients can be counted as having multiple non-admitted patient service events in one day, provided that every visit meets each of the criteria in the definition of a non-admitted patient service event.
3. Patient education services can be counted as non-admitted patient service events, provided that they meet the criteria included in the definition of a non-admitted patient service event.
4. Each patient attending a group session is counted as a non-admitted patient service event, providing that the session included the provision of therapeutic/clinical advice for each patient and that this was recorded using a dated entry in each patient’s medical record. A data element identifying a group session is included in the NMDS to record this type of service event.
5. Telephone and other telehealth consultations can be counted as service events if they substitute for a face to face consultation, provided that they meet all the criteria included in the definition of a non-admitted patient service event. A telephone consultation is only counted as one non-admitted patient service event, irrespective of the number of health professionals or locations participating in the consultation. A telehealth consulation has service events counted at the location of the healthcare provider and the location of the patient.
6. Services provided to inpatients (including services provided by staff working in non-admitted services who visit admitted patients in wards, or other types of consultation and liaison services involving inpatients) are not counted as non-admitted patient service events.
7. Travel by a health professional is not counted as a non-admitted patient service event.
8. All non-admitted services that meet the criteria in the definition of non-admitted patient service events must be counted, irrespective of funding source (including Medicare Benefits Schedule) for the non-admitted service.
9. For activity based funding purposes, diagnostic services are not counted as non-admitted patient service events; these are an integral part of the requesting clinic's non-admitted patient service event.
10. Renal dialysis, total parenteral nutrition, home enteral nutrition and home ventilation performed by the patient in their own home without the presence of a health care provider may be counted as a non-admitted patient service event, provided there is documentation of the procedures in the patient's medical record.
|Implementation start date:||01/07/2015|
|Implementation end date:||30/06/2016|
Glossary terms that are relevant to this data set specification are listed below.
Source and reference attributes
Independent Hospital Pricing Authority
|Steward:||Independent Hospital Pricing Authority|
Independent Hospital Pricing Authority 2014. Tier 2 Non-Admitted Services Compendium, Version 4.0. Independent Hospital Pricing Authority, Sydney. Viewed dd mmmm yyyy, (web link to be added)
Independent Hospital Pricing Authority 2014. Tier 2 Non-Admitted Services Definitions Manual 2015-16. Independent Hospital Pricing Authority, Sydney. Viewed dd mmmm yyyy, (web link to be added)
|Related metadata references:|
See also Activity based funding: Mental health care DSS 2015-16 Independent Hospital Pricing Authority, Standard 15/10/2014
Supersedes Non-admitted patient DSS 2014-15 Health, Superseded 13/11/2014
Has been superseded by Non-admitted patient NBEDS 2016-17 Health, Superseded 05/10/2016
|Implementation in Data Set Specifications:|
Ambulatory patient mental health care cluster Independent Hospital Pricing Authority, Standard 15/10/2014