This search engine is the best way to find what you're after in METEOR, if you know what you're looking for. However, if you aren't sure what you're looking for, we suggest browsing the collection.
If you are using METEOR without an account, your search can be restricted by metadata item type, the main types of registration statuses, and by registration authority. It is also possible to search on METEOR ID number directly. You can save items of interest by adding bookmarks.
If you are logged in to METEOR as a metadata developer, you will have some additional options to restrict the search by. In addition to metadata item type and registration authority, you can restrict your search to the full range of registration status options, change date and workgroup. If you need access as a metadata developer and haven't done the training yet, please contact us.
When you type into the search box, you will get autocomplete suggestions. This predictive text will help you see the METEOR entries that exist for the topic you're searching on, and make your searching process faster and easier.
METEOR has a great many filters. The options directly below the search text box provide ways of limiting your search to all of the 18 content types in METEOR (see Learn about metadata to view the full list), item creation dates, and item revision dates. The 'Topic' content type will search the 'non-database' pages in METEOR, and 'Help' will search all of the 'information' pop-up information boxes that are linked to each item.
- Content Types (eg data element, glossary item, value domain, data quality statement, indicator, classification scheme)
- Created or Revision Dates (eg Last hour, Today, This week, Last month, This year, and specific date ranges)
To search the 'non-metadata' content of the METEOR website, such as the pages explaining what metadata items are, restrict your search results to 'Topic'.
You can also sort the results of your search on a range of options:
- Most / Least recently created
- Most / Least recently updated
- Alphabetical order (A–Z or Z–A)
You can further narrow down your results with the results categories that appear on the left side of the screen. These are: Registration Authority Status (Standard, Incomplete, Candidate, Superseded), Registration Authorities, Content Type, Stewards, Registration Statuses, and Submitting Organisations.
The 'Clear' button resets the Search page.
If you need to get finely-tuned results, this search engine uses Lucene search syntax. You can restrict your search to the titles of items by using
Name: Searchterm, for instance, or hide words such as 'for' from the search by using backslashes, for example:
" to get an exact match with a word.
You can also use asterisks
* for a wildcard search, which allows the search engine to replace any content with the asterisk. The METEOR wildcard search requires a precise format. It can only be inserted inside or at the end of a word, with at least one letter next to it (but not at the front of a word). The wildcard standing in isolation will also not work. For instance,
ca*e* will bring up results for 'care', 'category', 'calendar' and 'cancer', while
cancer * will not bring up any results.