National Indigenous Reform Agreement: PI 11-Child under 5 hospitalisation rates by principal diagnosis, 2011
Identifying and definitional attributes
Metadata item type:
PI 11-Child under 5 hospitalisation rates by principal diagnosis, 2011
Indigenous, Archived 01/07/2012
Hospital separation rates for children aged under five years by Indigenous status.
Monitoring hospitalisation rates for different diseases so that it is understood which diseases are major contributors to morbidity among Indigenous children and where programs are succeeding and where they are not will assist in achieving the closing the gap targets.
Rate ratios and rate differences are calculated for Indigenous:non-Indigenous.
Presentation: Per 1,000 persons.; percentage; and causes listed from highest to lowest percentage.
Leading principal diagnoses (and ICD-10-AM codes) are:
• Diseases of the respiratory system (J00-J99)
• Certain conditions originating in the perinatal period (P00-P96)
• Certain infectious and parasitic diseases (A00-B99)
• Injury and poisoning and certain other consequences of external causes (S00-T98)
• Symptoms, signs and abnormal clinical and laboratory findings n.e.c. (R00-R99)
• Diseases of the digestive system (K00-K93)
• Diseases of the skin and subcutaneous tissue (L00-L99)
• Congenital malformations, deformations and chromosomal abnormalities (Q00-Q99)
• Diseases of the ear and mastoid process (H60-H95)
• Contact with health services (Z00-Z99)
• Diseases of the genitourinary system (N00-N99)
• Diseases of the nervous system (G00-G99)
• Total hospitalisations
Crude percentage: number of separations by principal diagnosis divided by total separations.
Rate: 1,000 x (Numerator ÷ Denominator).
Number of hospital separations for children aged under five years by leading principal diagnosis.
Numerator data elements:
Total population of children aged under five years.
Denominator data elements:
National and State and Territory by Indigenous status, by Principal diagnosis at the ICD-10-AM chapter level.
Disaggregation data elements:
Most recent data available for 2011 CRC report is 2008-09.
Aggregated data (2007-08 to 2008-09) will be reported for the current reporting period.
Single year data (2007-08, 2008-09) will be reported for time series (national for total hospitalisations and for leading principal diagnoses; state/territory for total hospitalisations and for top six leading principal diagnoses (ICD-10-AM 6th edition chapter level)).
National disaggregation by Indigenous status will be based on data only from jurisdictions for which the quality of Indigenous identification is considered acceptable.
At this stage, only selected state/territories are considered of accepted quality for reporting hospitalisations of Indigenous persons: NSW, Vic, Qld, WA, SA & NT public hospitals. Tas/ACT data should be reported with caveats. National rates should include these six states and territories only.
Disaggregation by Indigenous status is to be reported using 2 years combined data for the current reporting period. Single year data is to be reported for time series.
Baseline year for this indicator is 2008; target year is 2018.